Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Oh Bahhh MAAA

While in the village John told me this:

"God does what the white man cannot"

Frustrating, is it not?
To think that we, me, you, are thought to be above africans, above other people.

Obama was in Ghana this week to speak about democracy in African nations. He spoke about good governance, aid and how the empowerment of the people will bring forth development.

Aid is not an end in itself. The purpose of foreign assistance must be creating the conditions where it's no longer needed. I want to see Ghanaians not only self-sufficient in food, I want to see you exporting food to other countries and earning money. You can do that.

This is something really powerful but extremly hard to convey. When talking to people in South Downs, the idea of eventually ending Aid would be like ending church.

He ended his speech with the following:

Now that triumph must be won once more, and it must be won by you. (Applause.) And I am particularly speaking to the young people all across Africa and right here in Ghana. In places like Ghana, young people make up over half of the population.

And here is what you must know: The world will be what you make of it. You have the power to hold your leaders accountable, and to build institutions that serve the people. You can serve in your communities, and harness your energy and education to create new wealth and build new connections to the world. You can conquer disease, and end conflicts, and make change from the bottom up. You can do that. Yes you can -- (applause) -- because in this moment, history is on the move.

But these things can only be done if all of you take responsibility for your future. And it won't be easy. It will take time and effort. There will be suffering and setbacks. But I can promise you this: America will be with you every step of the way -- as a partner, as a friend. (Applause.) Opportunity won't come from any other place, though. It must come from the decisions that all of you make, the things that you do, the hope that you hold in your heart.

These points really hit home to me. The little time I have spent here has made me realize how powerful we are as stakeholders in our country, its decisions and our interconnected future.

2 comments:

  1. Just my two cents. Inspirational words built on the foundation of superficial assumptions, which are all in all once again treating Africa, and African youth as a homogeneous mixture.

    I'd be curious what sort of speech Obama would make about "Africa" if he visited many of the Zambians I have met... The twenty one year olds still in grade seven and the thirteen year olds who have never had a chance to read... All the young people drunk at ten o'clock. I wonder what his words would be.

    He may have the audacity to "hope" but I am curious if he has the audacity to empathize. Do I hear airforce one flying by?

    ReplyDelete