Thursday, July 2, 2009

Malaria - hooha...good god...what is it good for...absolutely nothing...say it again

Malaria sucks because it is different for everyone. for me, when I had it, it really slowed me down and took away all my energy. It also took away my appetite, I did not eat for more than 5 days. Common symptoms of malaria are chills, diarrhoea, fever and pains across your body, locals call it "pain in your bones".

Most people get malaria during the rainy season which is from November to April but it is possible to have it at any time of the year. It is simply a function of your exposure to mosquitoes. People freak out when they here there is more mosquitoes in Canada but no malaria. They don't believe me.

I know a few people with malaria right now. They are bummed but is treatable and not a major threat if you live in town with access to a clinic. If you live in a village it is a different story.
You can take drugs like Malarone but they help protect not prevent. It is around 60-70% effective. People here don't really take the drugs, the are surprised by the fact I take them but then again...I'm white. Everyone uses mosquitoe nets in the rainy season but now during the dry season, there are few to worry about.

It's pretty funny to season people react when there is a mosquitoe in the house, they treat it like a giant flying cancer bomb and they kill it with haste (this is my family anyway...I get a kick out of these daily outbreaks).


PEEAAAAACCCCEEEE

1 comment: