Wednesday, May 13, 2009

airport scents

ah..
the smell of leaving.
i cannot remember the last time i felt like this.
everything is slowly fading away for me.
soon this canadian paradise will be fading too.
but there is new things ahead.
a new land.
a new climate.
a new home...
it would be an understatement to say im nervous.
but im nervous in a pretty good way.
i know that i am in good hands and that there are some great opportunities in store for me in Zambia.
i know that my loved ones got my back.
the friends i have made this week are here/there for me.

its hard sometimes to leave something so good but i know that this is what i want.
i know that i will be happy. that there is so much to be learned.
no more textbooks for a few months. its all about experiences.

what kind of experiences?
well let's start with what i know of...
my job.

i am working with Internation development enterprises (IDE) in Kitwe, Zambia.
IDE's work focuses on water technologies for rural farmers. More specifically treddle pumps and drip irrigation systems.

The project I am working on is called the Rural Poverty Initiative. The project's focus is all about getting rural farmers to make more money. The main idea is to grow more produce and sell it to surrounding markets. So for the last 3 years IDE has worked on getting farmers to grow more produce and now that things have settled the other part beings, getting that extra produce to the market.

I will be working with the IDE office on market linkages. My main priority is to help build the capacity of the feild staff there so that they can be even more9 effecive than what they already are. Thanks to my extensive job experience with 5 other orginizations I will be able to use my diverse experience to give different perspectives for their office.

But this is still a lot of paper terms. I am not exactly sure what all this will turn into but I promise to keep this blog up to date.

Hit me with some comments.

Much love to you all.

Time to fly.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you have built friendships during pre-dep. It's great to have people that are living the same thing than you at the same time to share your experiences and support each other. Your work placement sounds really interesting and your past experience will definitively be helpful.
    So do you know which markets IDE is targeting? and why?

    I hope you are having a good time in your in-country training.
    Can't wait to hear more from you!

    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so exciting Tony - I'm living vicariously through you this summer! I'm looking forward to seeing some amazing pictures and hearing your intriguing stories.

    Good luck, be safe, and keep the updates coming!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete